Tibet Extension 2019
Experience Tibet’s Cultural Beauty
with Amazonia Expeditions
November 17 – 22, 2019 (6 Days / 5 Nights)
By popular demand we are excited to announce an additional extension to our Nepal Trek. Join us on the other side of the Himalayas to the culturally rich and mysterious region of Tibet located in the South West of China. Explore Lhasa, home of the majestic Potala Palace, intricate Tibetan murals and beautiful statues. You will also get to view the tombs of the eight Dalai Lamas. The adventure continues as we leave the city for the Tibetan countryside. Get a glimpse of otherworldly landscapes, mountains, and the beautiful Glacial Lake at Yamdrok and the Norjing Gang Sang glacier peak. This exciting cultural extension cannot be missed!
This trip is available for $1890 per person, with a 15-traveler limit.
We look forward to guiding you on this adventure!
Group Size: 15 Traveler Limit
Interested in joining us for this cultural experience? Let us know here!
Kathmandu – Lhasa – Kathmandu
Experience the cultural beauty of Lhasa
The highlights of the trip include:
The majestic Potala Palace – This imposing structure dominates the landscape of Lhasa. You will also get to view the tombs of the eight Dalai Lamas
Jokhang Temple – provides yet another glimpse of the rich Tibetan cultural heritage.
The Tashilunpo Monastery – The main seat of Panchen Lama)
Day 1 - November 17
Kathmandu to Lhasa
- Transfer to Kathmandu airport to board
flightto Lhasa. Upon arrival at Lhasa Gongar airport (11,995 ft), you will be welcomed by our Tibetan crew, experience the first Tibetan hospitalities. Transfer to the hotel.
Accommodation: Four Points by Sheraton
Day 2 - November 18
- After an early breakfast, you will be escorted by your guide to the majestic Potala Palace. The imposing structure of the palace dominates the landscape of Lhasa. As you are guided through the ancient chambers of the palace, you get to see Tibetan art at its best. The Potala Palace has a vast array of intricate Tibetan murals and beautiful statues. You will also get to view the tombs of the eight Dalai Lamas.
- Jokhang temple provides yet another glimpse of the rich Tibetan cultural heritage. You will also get the chance to stroll around the busy Barkhor Square, the center of Lhasa. After the day’s tour, you will be escorted back to your hotel.
Accommodation: Four Points by Sheraton
Day 3 - November 19
Yamdrok Lake – Gyantse
- Depart Lhasa in the early morning taking the friendship highway towards the Khampa la pass (15,500 ft), at the pass we have a short break for stunning views of some major white peaks in the eastern regions of the Himalayas. Descend from the pass down close to shores of the turquoise Yamdrok lake for a nice picnic lunch. After lunch continue our scenic driving to the next pass Karo la (16,568 ft) where we have our first high altitude adventure experience of Norjing Gang Sang glacier peak and some fun with the local high-altitude animal Yaks and their herders, we have our arrival in Gyangtse in the late afternoon. (5 ½ to 6-hour drive).
- Enjoy a visit to The Palkhor Chode monastery including the Kumbum stupa (the only surviving with such distinctive structure and the thousands of
art works) After sightseeing continueto Shigastefor overnightstay.
Accommodation: Tashi Cho Ta Hotel
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 4 - November 20
Shigatse & Return to Lhasa
- After breakfast, we visit the Tashilunpo monastery (the main seat of Panchen Lama) and the local traditional market. In the afternoon depart Shigatse for return back to Lhasa (
- Accommodations: Four Points Sheraton
Day 5 - November 21
Lhasa to Kathmandu
- Today, in time transfer to the airport to board
flightback to Kathmandu
- Upon arrival at Kathmandu, transfer to the hotel.
Accommodation: Kantipur Temple House
Day 6 - November 22
In time transfer to the Kathmandu international airport for international flights.
Reserve Your Expedition Today!
Deposit – $500
$1890 per person in double occupancy room
Single room supplement $500
Kathmandu / Lhasa / Kathmandu – Airfare cost is subject to change.
Contact us about this.
- Itinerary subject to changes only if beyond our control
- Reservation made with a deposit of $500 per person
- Balance is due by August 1, 2019
- Payment can be made by credit card on our PayPal site
Cancellation Policy: 50% of cost up to 120 days before departure. Purchase of travel and evacuation insurance is required. https://buy.travelguard.com/TGI2/proc/stateselector.aspx?br=agentlink&arc=51868&agentlinkasp=yes
This Trip Includes:
- Double twin room on sharing basis
- Daily breakfast
- All ground transportation as detailed in the itinerary using Non – Ac Vehicle
- Services of local English speaking Tibetan Guide
- Packed Picnic Lunch at Yamdrok
- Tibet Visa Fee and travel permit
- Monument entrances
- Currently applicable taxes
This Trip DOES NOT Include:
- Any airfares
- Any expenditure of personal nature such as drinks, tips, laundry, telephone charges etc.
- Any new tax imposed by the Govt.
Tibet Permit (Visa) – The visit of foreigners in Tibet is strictly regulated by the Chinese Govt. and is directly dependent upon the “political climate” in Tibet. This can change from one day to the next and is therefore impossible to predict. No one can ask and no one is told on what basis the permit to a particular person is given or denied.
Permits are generally granted 10 days prior to travel date. In some cases, they may grant it even 3 – 4 days prior to the date of travel. So, there is no deadline as such.
Permit could be granted / denied without any explanation & that we have no control over these issues. In our case permits (visas) will not requested until arrival to Nepal. In the case that a permit is not granted you will be liable for all flight/land cancellations.
Fortunately, the chance for the refusal of Permit is minimal. In the past 5-7
years our local operator has not had any cases of tourists being denied the permit.
Please keep in mind that in some cases,
Chinese Govt closes the entry of Tibet to all foreigners due to various reasons. These situations are beyond our control and all the flight / land cancellations will be borne by the client.
We highly recommended the purchase of travel insurance that protects against these types of risks.
Our time in the jungle was an absolute highlight on our trip to Peru! Truly amazing! …Again, we had the most wonderful time. Almost more than words can say. The jungle and the Tahuayo Lodge hold very special places in our hearts and CAN NOT WAIT to return. Thank you again for offering such an amazing trip.
Our trip was INCREDIBLE. The lodge was great, the food was amazing, and the staff were all so friendly. We loved our stays at the B&B, the main lodge, and the ARC.
Tia & Paula
It was incredible and a trip of a lifetime Paul! My sister Paula and I had an amazing time and loved everything — your facilities and staff are top notch and I want to come back with my husband and daughters!!