[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text css=”.vc_custom_1513704300640{border-radius: 10px !important;}”]

Understanding the seasons in the Amazon


What is the best season to visit the Amazon?

This is a common question we get from most people that are visiting the lodge for their first time. The simple answer to this question is ANYTIME. There is no time that is better for visiting the jungle than any other. There is a wet season and a dry season. Each have their own unique advantages and disadvantages, but one is not better than the other.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]Seasons

The wet/dry season differs within the Amazon basin depending how far south/north, east/west you are. In the upper Amazon basin around Iquitos, Peru, we have a bell curve of water level in the Amazon River by Iquitos (see graph), which peaks the end of April. Water level is determined by melting snow and glaciers in the Andes Mountains, especially from the huge glacial mass in central Peru known as the Cordillera Blanca.

The hottest time of year is when the sun is directly overhead upon its return from the Tropic of Capricorn, which is near the first of March. The water from the snowmelt takes some time to flood the Amazon basin around Iquitos, so we start to see the seasonal flooding of the lower ecosystems of the Amazon forest in late March, reaching its peak of flooding by late April.

As the seasonal flood spreads through the forest, the probability of rain increases due to evaporation/condensation. In April and May, we may have 65% chance of rain at some point during the day (usually late afternoon), while in September and October the daily probability of precipitation falls to about 35% (usually late afternoon storm).[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_empty_space height=”100px”][vc_gallery type=”image_grid” images=”4889″ img_size=”large”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]Effect on our trips

  • Due to Andean summers becoming longer and hotter, we have had seasonal floods exceed the average water level in each of the past 15 years, with two devastating floods in 2012 and 2015, which impacted native communities, regional agriculture and even flooded homes and businesses in Iquitos city.


  • Only once have we had issues conducting tours during the flood season. In 2012 the main lodge was flooded, and we built a temporary lodge for our guests in high forest. After having some parts of the main lodge flooded again in 2015 we re-built the main lodge much higher, to withstand any conceivable flood. The research center lodge is on higher ground, but it was also flooded in 2012 and 2015, although it was closed only for a few days. Throughout the bad flood years, we have always been open and operated tours throughout, while the other 90% of lodge operators in Iquitos shut down.


  • Dry conditions in August-November can also occasionally have impact if the level of water in the rivers get too low. If the rivers get too low, it takes longer to get to the main lodge and can be a laborious process to get to the remote research center lodge. On a few occasions we came close to temporarily closing the research center but that has not yet happened.

[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”4841″ img_size=”full” add_caption=”yes” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_empty_space height=”100px”][vc_column_text]Differences between wet & dry seasons

During the high-water season, we have more boating and canoeing excursions, and during the peak of most flood years only terra firme ecosystem is good for hiking. During the peak of the dry season some species, such as pink dolphins, migrate out of the Tahuayo River and excursions by boat and canoe are more limited, however, hiking opportunities are improved.

To see regular updates on water levels in our area please follow our Facebook posts.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”4837″ img_size=”full” add_caption=”yes” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row disable_element=”yes”][vc_column width=”1/4″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vckit_heading_effect use_theme_fonts=”yes” animation=”mallki” whole_text=”Fishing Activities” heading_size=”50px” heading_color=”#2d2d2d”][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row disable_element=”yes”][vc_column width=”1/3″][vckit_interactive ratio=”11″ effect=”dexter” heading_thin=”” heading_bold=”Flooded Forest Expedition” description=”Journey to the flooded forest, a well known fish breeding site” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_959dcf13f432fa” image=”2364″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vckit_interactive ratio=”11″ effect=”dexter” heading_thin=”” heading_bold=”Peacock Bass Excursion” description=”Travel to Quebrada Palmichal Inlet to fish for Peacock Bass, as well as other fish in the area.” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_959dcf34be95dc” image=”3547″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vckit_interactive ratio=”11″ effect=”dexter” heading_thin=”” heading_bold=”Piranha Fishing” description=”Fish for piranhas in the Tahuayo Tributary” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_859dcf21429c04″ image=”2354″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row disable_element=”yes”][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”50px”][vckit_heading_effect use_theme_fonts=”yes” animation=”mallki” whole_text=”Other Activities” heading_size=”50px” heading_color=”#2d2d2d”][vc_column_text]

All activities in the lodge are still available to you during specialized trips such as the Fishing Trip. Some activities may be unavailable for that day due to weather conditions, season or other logistical concerns.

[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row disable_element=”yes”][vc_column][vc_empty_space][vckit_button style=”rayen” title=”Reserve Today!” align=”center” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_959dbfa77142a8″ button_block=”true” link=”|||”][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][vckit_heading_effect use_theme_fonts=”yes” animation=”mallki” whole_text=”How It Works” heading_size=”50px” heading_color=”#2d2d2d”][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][vc_column_text][insert page=’3807′ display=’content’][/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row disable_element=”yes”][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][vc_column_text]


[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row disable_element=”yes”][vc_column width=”1/4″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][vckit_interactive ratio=”43″ heading_thin=”Tahuayo” heading_bold=”Lodge” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_859dbf08d4a64a” image=”2905″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][vckit_interactive ratio=”43″ heading_thin=”Amazon Research Center ” heading_bold=”Peru Lodge” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_1059dbf0b2b81ef” image=”1990″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/3″][vckit_interactive ratio=”169″ heading_thin=”” heading_bold=”HOW IT WORKS” description=”Our company strives to bring you a custom experience, and that includes helping with your arrival to the lodge. Click to learn more” enable_link=”yes” url=”/trips/#how-it-works” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_959e8adbe3fce5″ image=”4253″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vckit_interactive ratio=”169″ heading_thin=”” heading_bold=”LODGES” description=”During your trip, you will have access to the Tahuayo Lodge and the Amazon Research Center Peru Lodge. Learn more about our lodges here!” enable_link=”yes” url=”/lodges” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_959e8b1266df41″ image=”3699″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vckit_interactive ratio=”169″ heading_thin=”” heading_bold=”OTHER ACTIVITIES” description=”During the birding trip, you have access to all activities at the lodges depending on weather and other variables. Learn more about other activities available here” enable_link=”yes” url=”/trips/#activity-types” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_859e8b027c8926″ image=”2931″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space][vckit_lightbox id=”availability-1″][vckit_contact_form7 id=”1003″ custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_1059ecdeed90ee7″][/vckit_lightbox][vckit_button style=”rayen” title=”CHECK AVAILABILITY” align=”center” custom_onclick=”lightbox” custom_class=”vckit_custom_class_959ecdeb53d439″ button_block=”true” link=”|||” text_color=”#eeeeee” background_color=”#3b5a67″ hover_background_color=”#b0d9e5″ lightbox_id=”availability-1″][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]

Reservation is made with a deposit of $250.

[insert page=’2733′ display=’content’]

[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][vckit_testimonial layout=”layout01″ display_author=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]